Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Smokey Eye and Pale Lips




SO...the Oscars have come and gone and I'm pleased to share that I was mostly right! That doesn't always happen so I thought you wouldn't mind a bit of gloating! So now how am I going to entertain myself for the rest of this weary winter? Blogging I suppose! So here's my Red Carpet recap...Part 1...

I have to say, I didn't have a FAVORITE makeup look this year and didn't see anyone re-creating the beauty wheel, so to speak. But with that said, I thought everyone looked beautiful in their own way and I've divided up the looks into categories so you can re-create them all on your own...or give it a go anyway....

No newsflash here...there were lots of (guess what????)....Smokey Eyes and Pale Lips...which is to be expected and very appropriate for the glamourous occasion. And I KNOW you want to know how to create a smokey eye...So here it goes...

  • Light eyes? Choose a shadow in deep charcoal, dark brown or eggplant
  • Brown eyes? Choose a shadow in deep charcoal, eggplant, emerald or navy
  • After you've primed your lid with concealer, sweep the dark shadow across the lid ONLY! Don't let me see you next week at the bar with dark shadow on your browbones or "winged" up high enough to meet your maker...I won't have anything nice to say....
  • Line across the top lashline with a black gel liner and smudge gently with black shadow.
  • Line underneath the eye with the dark shadow using a flat lining brush...WARNING! WARNING! Using too much black underneath can make you look too old, too tired, too goth or just plain scary so....
  • Dark circles or pesky fine lines around your eyes??? Just skip lining underneath altogether...we're not trying to showcase the bad bits....
  • Clean up any flyaway color ( I know you have some!) with a q-tip or makeup remover pad (if you don't want to make mud) and then conceal in all the right places. Don't know where those are? OK...I'll tell you again... the bridge of the nose pulling up toward the browbones, underneath the eye where there are shadows and at the outer corner, pulling up toward the eyebrows...
  • Brows...keep them soft, just filling in sparse areas...
  • Cream blush, just on the apples (in a shade you would naturally blush)...no bronzer, NO stripes....you know what I mean!
  • And a lip gloss that matches your natural lip color...have a great natural lip color? Just moisturize and leave 'em bare!

No comments: