Wednesday, February 18, 2009

And the Oscar goes to...

So for those who know me, you know I like to have an opinion on Oscar night...on more than just the makeup...so January and February are generally spent in a manic panic to see all of the nominated performances...besides, what else is there to do??...it's cold out. And just so you know how serious I am about this, I saw six films last week...two back to back (Yes! I snuck into the second one...sort of a high school move but who am I to miss an opportunity? The door was open...) So anyway, I'm feeling somewhat prepared....feel free to ask me on Monday if I was right!
So in anticipation of what I consider the "Super Bowl" of Beauty, I've found some "through the era's" Oscar Red Carpet looks to share with you! And hopefully some vintage makeup fun facts to boot...

1930 Mary Pickford (right)...well. she just looks...very 1930's...and how can you not want to look this at some point in your life??? Lovely....
  • 1930: Raspberry,bee-stung lips are in, Chinese-Red is out and makeup should look "more natural" than the painted ladies of yesteryear. Too much makeup 'makes a woman look wild.' Overly plucked eyebrows are out, matching your eyeshadow to your ensemble is in and cosmetic lines boast a whole "5 shades of eyeshadow and seven shades of rouge." Well, that explains why everyone's grandmother looked the same!
1939 Deanna Durbin (left)...ok...out of all of the Oscars archives, I just couldn't help myself...her name is Deanna after all and she won an honorary Oscar...I also remember my grandparent's friends asking me if I was named after her so I'm glad to see she can actually rock a bow on top of her head and wear satin in all the wrong places...the sad truth is my mother always wanted a daughter named "Penny"...but my last name is "Nickel" so let's all be glad mom thought better of that! Thanks mom!
  • 1939: Mary Pickford starts her own cosmetic line, a facial at Elizabeth Arden was $2.50, Max factor introduces Pan-Cake makeup and the number of shades of red lipstick available were reported to be 'dizzying'.

No comments: